Original Post By Ajumoke Nwaeze
Do not be surprised to meet your teenage daughter on Facebook, and if she isn’t there yet, she will own an account in just a matter of months.
Since the launch of this online social networking services in 2004, billions of people worldwide have enjoyed the benefits as well as hazards associated with having one’s “face/life” on a billboard. 31 year old Jewish-American computer programmer and Internet entrepreneur, Mark Zuckerberg, and four of his Harvard College roommates, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes founded Facebook social network when Mark was only 20 years old.
The idea was to create a platform for Harvard students to interact. It later grew to accommodate students from other universities across the country and then to the entire people on earth who are interested.
So far Facebook has become the most used, most popular and most addictive social media in the history of social networking. However, as common as it seems, there are a lot of things you may not know about Facebook. Check out this list of Facebook facts.
1. The name “Facebook” comes from a colloquialism for the directory given to it by American university students.
2. Facebook’s theme is basically blue because the major founder, Mark Zuckerberg, suffers red-green color blindness.
3. Al Pacino was the first “face” on Facebook.
4. As of March 2015, Facebook had about 10,082 employees.
5. Instagram and WhatsApp are major subsidiary social networks of Facebook.
6. As of 2014, the total assets of Facebook was US$40.184 billion.
7. Facebook is estimated to spend US$30 million monthly on hosting alone.
8. Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in the world and is among the top 10 richest persons on earth with a net worth of about US$38.6 billion.
9. The number of Facebook users worldwide hit one billion in 2012.
10. In Same 2012, Mark Zuckerberg married his wife of Asian decent, Priscilla Chan. The couple are expecting their first child after experiencing several miscarriages in the past years.
11. Since 2010, Time magazine has named Zuckerberg among the 100 wealthiest and most influential people in the world as a part of its Person of the Year distinction.
12. Smartphone users check Facebook 14 times a day.
13. There are about 30 million dead people on Facebook whose accounts are still active.
14. The legal age for anyone to be allowed registration access on Facebook is 13, although the age requirement may be higher depending on applicable local laws.
15. The “Like” button on Facebook was originally going to be called“Awesome”.
16. According to Facebook data analysis, the weeks before Christmas is the most popular time for couples to break up.
17. 8.7% of Facebook users are fake.
18. Facebook looses almost US$25,000 for every minute it is down.
19. Every minute, 1.8 million new “likes” are made on Facebook.
20. There are more Facebook users in Nigeria, than Nigerian citizens who voted in the last election.
21. According to a study, 1 in 3 people feel more dissatisfied with their lives after viewing people’s profile, recent pictures and status on Facebook.
22. Zuckerberg was played by actor Jesse Eisenberg in the 2010 film The Social Network, in which the rise of Facebook is portrayed.
23. The average Facebook U S. user spends 40 minutes a day on the site.
24. You can change your language on Facebook to “Pirate.”
25. Several people have been murdered for unfriending someone on Facebook.
26. Facebook has a feature that allows you designate who will manage your account after you die.
27. In 2005, MySpace discussed a deal with Facebook, but rejected Mark Zuckerberg’s asking price of US$75 million as too expensive.
28. Facebook, Twitter and The New York Times have been blocked in China since 2009.
29. A third of all divorce filings of 2011 in the U.S. contained the word “Facebook.”
30. Single Nigerian youths have used Facebook as a platform for buying and selling sex in the name of being sociable.
31. As the CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg receives a monthly salary of US$ 1.
32. Facebook has helped in crime investigation as a burglar in Minnesota was caught after he logged into his Facebook account on the home’s PC and forgot to log out.
33. Just like you can’t shoot a King out of his palace, you can’t block Mark Zuckerberg on Facebook.
34. Facebook earns an average of US$5.85 from every U.S. user.
35. A Blogger hired a woman to slap him every time he’s on Facebook.
36. According to a survey, 5% of Brits use Facebook while having sex.
37. Any text you put into the status update box is sent to Facebook’s servers, even if you don’t click the post button.
38. So many Facebook photos and videos are uploaded via mobile and it takes up 27% of upstream web traffic.
39. On average, there are 3.74 degrees of separation between any one Facebook user and another.
40. In Britain, a woman was given 20 months in jail for creating fake Facebook profiles to send abusive messages to herself.
41. 600,000 hacking attempts are made to Facebook accounts every day.
42. In 2009, WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton was turned down for a job at Facebook. Five years later, Facebook purchased WhatsApp for US$19 billion.
43. A study found that 88% of Facebook users sneak on the pages of their ex-partners after a breakup.
45. Facebook has 95 million users in China despite being blocked.
46. Facebook tracks which sites you visit, even after you have signed out.
47. Facebook’s first annual Hacker Cup coding challenge was won by a programmer at Google. He showed up at Facebook headquarters to collect his prize wearing his Google employee badge.
48. Facebook had over 1.18 billion monthly active users as of August 2015.
49. Between January 2014 and March 2014, over one billion users logged into their Facebook account on a mobile device.
50. Facebook is addictive and time consuming as well as a killjoy for people who find it hard to be content with what they have.